At East Side Nursery School, we support and encourage learning through active play and exploration in a free-choice environment.
ESNS was founded in 1957 by a group of parents interested in providing a nurturing, fun, and engaging environment for their preschool children. As a co-op, the school is run by a board of directors made up of parent volunteers and our two teachers. ESNS is licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth, and Families.
Why a Co-op?
We believe both children and their families benefit from participating in a cooperative school. Our co-op structure offers children a gentle transition from home to the primary school environment. It also offers parents a unique opportunity to be actively involved in their child’s early education, observe their child’s developing relationships, and enjoy being part of a caring community of families.
Parent responsibilities include:
- Helping in the classroom approximately 4-7 days during the school year
- Maintaining the school by participating in all-school improvement projects, and by cleaning the classroom once or twice per year
- Participating in school activities, including field trips, fundraisers, and publicity efforts
- Attending three mandatory parent meetings (held in the evenings in the spring, fall, and winter)
Serving, if interested, as a board member on our working board.
We offer two groups: a two-mornings-per-week (Tuesday/Thursday) group for 3 year-olds, and a three-morning-per-week (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) group for 4 year-olds. There are three teachers and a helping parent present in the classroom each day the children meet. There are 16 children in the Tuesday/Thursday group and 18 children in the Monday/Wednesday/Friday group, making an adult-to-child ratio of roughly 1:6.
Our day begins with drop-off between 8:45 and 9 a.m. and ends with pick-up between 11:45 a.m. and 12 noon. The school year runs from September to mid-June. In most cases, our holidays and vacations follow the same schedule as Providence Public Schools.
We offer the following extended hours:
- Lunch Bunch – Available for both groups, children can stay at school to eat lunch until 1:00 p.m. Children bring their own lunches. Cost is $10 per day. Drop-in.
- Extended Day Program – Available for our Monday/Wednesday/Friday group, children may stay until 2:25 p.m. Cost is $25 per day with a maximum of 10 children. Sing-up is the morning of the day you want. If there are more than 10 children interested we will offer advanced sign-up.